Coastal Center Programs & Events
The Center building is open to the public Tuesday through Sunday. Masks are required when inside the building.
Masks are strongly encouraged by not required for outdoor programs.
Please continue to enjoy the sanctuary, which remains open from dawn to dusk.
Beginner Adult Avian Watercolor Class
WINTER/SPRING Avian Watercolor Class
Beginner Adult Avian Watercolor series:
Sundays: All classes 1:30-3:00p.m.
With Winter upon us and Spring soon to come, it is a wonderful time to be surrounded by the beauty of natures changing cycles. Few places allow the practicing artist to view these changes directly, and especially not from such a beautiful bank of large windows, which overlook both wetlands and river. All of this, while being warm, comfortable, and in a friendly, educational environment.
This series of classes is designed for the pure beginner. We will learn about watercolor tools, uses, products and techniques. The student will learn simple perspective techniques and composition skills. These fundamentals will help the student achieve dimension in their work, which is a highly sought after skill. We will look at the Artists and the Art History where these fundamentals originated. Students will have drawing and painting exercises, in order to relax and experiment with watercolor, and also make their own watercolor chart to use as a reference. We will look at and discuss avian anatomy, and finally compose a scene with one or two birds in their natural habitat. This will all be accomplished step by step, class by class, with your teacher Jeanne Board-Fayumi.
This series is appropriate for those 18 years of age and above. The class fee includes the use of all drawing and watercolor materials. Participants may want to bring a smock or old shirt. Masks are required while in the building.
Program dates are:
March 5, 12,(skipping 3/19), 26
April 2, (skipping 4/9), 16, 23, 30
Class size is limited to 12 adults. Minimum enrollment of 6 participants for program to run.
Members $130; Non-members $170
2022 International Big Sit! Birding Challenge
The Big Sit! is an annual, international, noncompetitive birding event founded and hosted by the New Haven (Connecticut) Bird Club. This year on October 9th, we hope to break our Big Sit record of 107 bird species seen in 2020, which earned us first place in a competition of 102 teams! We’ll start before dawn and end after dark. We pledge to SIT! (with conviction!) to raise funds to support the Coastal Center.
Please help us by pledging your support. Your tax-deductible contribution allows us to achieve our ambitious goal of raising more than $7,000 by seeing (or hearing) 100+ species from one place in one day at one site near the Milford Coastal Center.
Your generous support allows us to monitor and protect threatened nesting species such as Piping Plovers and Least Terns, to offer adult birding courses, lectures, and field trips, and to deliver school programs to thousands of children annually. This includes the adaptation of our exciting hands-on Science in Nature curriculum, designed to meet the national and state science standards, to meet the needs of in-person or remote classrooms. It is our hope that this curriculum will aid in insuring future generations of conservationists.
We cannot do this without you, and we thank you in advance for your generosity!
Please, pledge or donate today. Remember, 100% of your donation to the Big Sit! directly supports the Coastal Center at Milford Point and helps us remain a leader in conservation and experiential environmental education.
You can pledge online at www.ctaudubon.org/BigSit.
Coastal Center Canoe Tours 2022
Join us on a guided canoe tour of the Charles E. Wheeler Salt Marsh. Steeped in local history, the marsh offers an abundance of birds and other wildlife, beautiful vistas, and a chance to paddle and relax. This guided tour is great outdoor adventure. We provide the canoes, equipment, and guide. You provide the paddling power.
When registering for a canoe tour you understand the following guidelines:
- The entire program is outdoors and will last approximately 2.5 hours.
- It is required that one person in each canoe have some paddling experience.
- PARTICIPANTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE PHYSICALLY ABLE TO PADDLE THE ENTIRE TRIP
- You are responsible for bringing the correct number of people for your canoe.
- Please wear shoes that can get wet, bring water, a sun hat, sun shirt, and apply sunblock and bug spray before arriving. It is often cooler at the coast; we suggest bringing a jacket.
- Please bring a snack or lunch & drinking water—we will stop halfway through for a rest and snack/lunch.
- Minimum age to be a passenger in the canoe – 8 years old.
- To paddle you must be 15 years or older.
- Anyone 15 years and under must be accompanied by an adult on all trips.
- All equipment is included when using a Coastal Center canoe.
- Only Bring Your Own Kayak participants may register as an individual.
- Masks are optional but suggested if physical distancing is not possible (subject to change).
- Masks are required when inside the building (subject to change).
- WAIVERS FOR EACH PARTICIPANT MUST BE COMPLETED AND RETURNED TO firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE THE TOUR.
- A tour may be cancelled or postponed on short notice due to adverse weather, including wind. Participants will be notified by email approximately 2 ½ hours prior if the canoe tour will be cancelled.
- Pre-registration required. Walk-ins not permitted.
- Launching is not permitted at the Coastal Center at any time unless you are pre-registered with our group.
Coastal Center Canoes We provide the PFDs, paddles, canoes. When you register for a Coastal Center canoe, you are registering for either a 2 or 3 person canoe. The registration fee includes all the people in the canoe. You are responsible for bringing the necessary people required to paddle your canoe.
2-person Canoe: Members $70; Non-members $95
3-person Canoe: Members $90; Non-Members $125
Bring Your Own Kayak a limited number of spaces are available. You must pre-register to participate in the tour. You must bring your own boat, equipment, PFDs, paddles.
Members: 1-person kayak $35; Non-members: 1-person kayak $45.
BOTH WAIVERS FOR EACH PARTICIPANT MUST BE COMPLETED AND RETURNED TO email@example.com BEFORE THE PROGRAM DATE. Waivers will also be available before the start of the tour. Adults must sign waivers for anyone under 18.
Canoe tour waiver click here
This program is held at the Coastal Center at Milford Point, 1 Milford Point Road, Milford, CT 06460.
- In-person Programs at the Coastal Center, your school or local park. Click HERE for program brochure.
- For more school program information click HERE
- Birthday Parties: Look no further! The Coastal Center at Milford Point is the perfect place to celebrate your child’s birthday with an outdoor nature exploration program. For details click here. To schedule a birthday party please contact Louise Crocco at 203-878-7440 ext. 502 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Girl Scout Programs: For details click here.
- Cub Scout Programs: For details click here.