The Nature Store at the Center at Fairfield
Due to Covid-19, participants of indoor programs are to practice social distancing and wear masks; for outdoor programs, participants are to practice social distancing and may be required to wear masks (subject to change). The Center building has re-opened to the public (masks and social distancing required). Click HERE for a listing of our current programs. See below for Nature Store hours and information.
Our top priority is keeping Nature Store customers and staff safe, please see below for guidelines:
- Face masks are required to enter.
- Hand sanitizer is available inside entrance.
- Curbside pick-up with payment by phone is also available; please email the store manager at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
Monday – Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
203-259-6305 ext. 109
Now through January 29
All holiday items are 20% off at the Center’s Nature Store! The sale includes calendars, ornaments, home décor and more. It’s also an ideal opportunity to stock up for next year on holiday cards — our selection includes a variety of classic bird and nature themes.
By shopping at the Nature Store, you’ll also be making a difference by helping Connecticut Audubon’s conservation and environmental education programs.
20% Off Bird Seed in February
February is National Bird Feeding Month, and at the Nature Store you’ll enjoy 20% savings on all varieties of bird seed during the entire month. Knowledgeable staff are available to offer guidance on seed choices, feeder selection and answer general bird-feeding questions.
Connecticut Audubon Unpasteurized Honey
Available while supplies last, these 5 oz. jars of unpasteurized honey are from Connecticut Audubon’s beekeeping initiative with Alveole, a Brooklyn-based beekeeping company. Several hives were set up on the grounds of the Center in 2020.
Unpasteurized honey retains many of its nutritional properties — a great addition to your daily diet. At $7 per jar, it makes a unique stocking stuffer or special treat for yourself!
Birds of Connecticut Field Guide by Stan Tekiela
Focusing exclusively on 121 species of Connecticut birds, this handy and well-organized beginner’s field guide makes identification easy.
With a photo on each page, the guide is color-coded by the predominate color of the bird, and the index doubles as a check list. You’ll enjoy learning and identifying the birds that call Connecticut home.
The Sibley Birder’s Life List and Field Diary
From leading ornithologist and bestselling author David Sibley comes this essential write-in field companion for all levels of birders.
This indispensable birder’s companion includes both ample space for on-site notes and a life list to be filled in by the legions of passionate birders who have bought Sibley’s bestselling guides.
Puzzles are a great way to take a break, and with this Bloomin’ Birds jigsaw puzzle by Cobble Hill, you’ll have lots of family fun. This 350-piece puzzle depicts a cheerful scene that celebrates spring’s flowers and beautiful birds, with the opportunity for puzzlers of all skill levels to work different sides of the puzzle at the same time.
Other puzzles choices include (below from left to right): Birds on a Wire (poster included; 500 pieces), Popular Backyard Wild Birds of North America (1,000 pieces), The Towering Tree Puzzle (17 double-sided pieces, ages 3+), Songbirds (500 pieces, ages 8+) and Birds A-Z (500 pieces, ages 8+). Your whole family enjoys will enjoy these new puzzle activities!
Bingo is one of the most popular games in the world. Why? It’s a very social game and lets you see how you are doing, which is especially important if you need “just one more number.” Plus, the most important reason is that the winner gets to shout “BINGO!”
These games are fun for all the whole family (ages 3 and up) and include six player boards, 112 card stock bingo squares and 42 picture cards with an image on the front and facts on the back. As creative spin on classic bingo, there are brilliant color photos and informative facts on the back of each calling card. Suggestions for different ways to “Bingo” are also included.
- Bird Bingo: Learn about North American birds including the Northern Cardinal, Bald Eagle and Ruby-Throated Hummingbird.
- Nature Bingo: The natural world is all around us and this bingo counts trees, feather and aquamarine animals among its cast of characters.
A Nature Store Exclusive! “The Owls” Handmade Note Cards
When you need to send something more personal than an email, look no further than the “The Owls,” a new series of handmade note cards created by Susan Macari-Brady, a local artist. Based on her original paintings, “The Owls” is a series that she began in 2020 during the pandemic. Susan photographed her paintings, printed and hand-signed each card. Available exclusively at the Nature Store, the cards are sold individually and in assorted packs of five. Individual cards: $6; Assortment of five cards: $28.
About the artist: Susan began this series in the middle of 2020 and continually progressed throughout 2021. She began turning her paintings into cards as a way to preserve the original work and to share her images. A graduate of Pratt Institute, Susan studied fine art photography and, for the past 20 years, has worked commercially for a collectibles company.
Fairfield Commemorative Poster Collection
Illustrator and designer Paul Siegel’s 1930s-inspired posters depict iconic locations in the Fairfield community. Through color, light, shadow and shape, the designs pay homage to great poster artists of the past and will look elegant in any home. Five selections to choose from:
- Experience Fairfield (24” x 36”): $29
- Penfield Pavillion (16” x 20”): $15
- Burr Mansion (16” x 20”): $15
- Southport Harbor (16” x 20”): $15
- Town Hall (16” x 20”): $15
Special Discount: Palooza, 1636 Post Road, Fairfield, is offering professional framing of these commemorative posters at a generous discount. For more information, call the Nature Store at 203-259-6305.
Audubon/Woodlink — Cedar Bluebird Houses
Handcrafted of natural cedar, these nesting boxes are a great way to support Bluebirds during the busy spring season. They are easy to clean, have proper drainage and ventilation, come with mounting screws and are made in the U.S.A.
To make your backyard habitat even more attractive to Bluebirds, grow some native plants that are their favorites. Flowering dogwood, hollies and blueberries are a few examples of excellent choices.
Enterprises of the Garden Gate — New England Salt Box Nesting Boxes
These hand-stained pine nesting boxes are attractive to bird species such as Finch, Nuthatch, Chickadee, Warbler and Titmouse.
The boxes also come with a metal predator portal and hanging hooks and are made in the U.S.A.
More Birds — Ruby Glass Hummingbird Feeder
This feeder has a 10 oz. and 20 oz. (new) size nectar capacity with with circular perch and built-in ant moat. Additional features include:
— Wide opening glass bottle and detachable flat base for easy cleaning and filling
— Five integrated perches designed with hummingbirds in mind
— Decorative hanger included
Perky Pet — Elegant Copper Hummingbird Feeder
With a 12 oz. nectar capacity and built-in bee guards, this feeder also includes a circular perch that allows hummingbirds to feed from all angles. Additional features include:
— Wide-mouth bottle reduces messes and spills while filling
— Base comes apart to make cleaning easy
— Beautiful brushed copper finish will stand out in any setting
Perky Pet — Antique Glass Bottle Hummingbird Feeder
This feeder has a 10 oz. nectar capacity with a base that comes apart for easy cleaning and four decorative flower feeding parts. Additional features include:
— Decorative, green antique-style glass bottle
— Elegant base accents with brushed-nickel finish
Squirrel-Resistant Bird Feeders
The Nature Store has an extensive line of squirrel-resistant bird feeders to help attract feathered friends to your yard. These feeders are all currently in stock, but quantities are limited, so don’t delay (a wide selection of bird seed is in stock, as well). In addition, along with other Nature Store items such as birding books, bird houses, bird-themed clocks and thermometers, these feeders make a great gift.
- Audubon Squirrel-Resistant Caged Tube Feeder: Durable, clear plastic tube feeder with green metal top, base, perches, ports and protective cage. Features protective grid work that allows birds to feed while keeping predators out. Easy to fill and clean!
- Birds Choice Classic Bird Feeder with Baffle & Pole: This squirrel-resistant feeder’s green top and baffle is made with baked enamel coating. The large seed reservoir is made from UV-resistant polycarbonate and there are four aluminum seed ports and perches.
- Bromebirdcare SquirrelBuster Classic: Four ports and wire mesh shroud allows for wide variety of perching and clinging birds to share the feeder. The negative grip tube prevents squirrels from grabbing the wire hanger with their hind legs, hanging down alongside the feeder and defeating the closing mechanism.
- Bromebirdcare Squirrel Buster Plus: This feeder breaks new ground with design features available for the first time on any bird feeder. Openings in the bottom section of the feeder (shroud) align with seed ports, providing birds access to the seeds. When a squirrel climbs onto the feeder, its weight automatically forces the shroud down, closing the seed ports. Squirrels and large birds are thwarted, but are not harmed in any way. This feeder is adjustable and comes with a lifetime warranty.
Birds Choice Magnet Mesh Birds Choice Nyjer Feeder
Having a quality finch feeder is the cornerstone of successful bird feeder. You’ll love seeing this screen loaded with finches and their friends! Purchase with a small bag of finch blend or nyjer seed for a perfect gift.
- All-metal construction, polyester powder-coated yellow top and bottom with a black screen.
- This patented mesh screen will attract up to double the number of birds than other mesh on the market.
- Comes in two sizes: 18 inches (1.5 quart capacity) or 12 inches (1 quart capacity).
Stainless-Steel Water Bottles
An ideal way to stay hydrated on the trails or paired up with our tote bag (below) for holiday gift giving, our royal blue, 24 oz. water bottle is made of stainless-steel with a threaded BPA-free lid. $11.
Cloth Tote Bags
The spacious blue tote bag measures 15 inches wide by 16 inches high. With nine inch tall handles, it will fit easily over your shoulder and is a perfect, plastic-free choice for your shopping needs. $8.
CAS Embroidered Ball Cap
For a good-looking, comfortable baseball cap, we have the one for you! This adult size, chino twill cap in sky blue has a pre-curved bill and sports an embroidered Connecticut Audubon Society logo. It’s the perfect way to look great while supporting our conservation and environmental programs.
Bird Socks from Wheel House Designs
Take flight in these comfy bird socks! Wheel House Designs has been designing socks since 1989 and their top quality materials and designs set them apart.
Just in time for the colder temperatures, the Nature Store has a wide selection of creative bird designs that will be the perfect fit for you or make a much-appreciated gift.
Traditional to Contemporary Home Accessories and Bird-Themed Stationery
- Owl planter pots – perfect for succulents.
- A selection of wall plaques with themes such as “Take time to enjoy the simple things” – just the right touch for freshening up for autumn.
- Bird on a pedestal figurines in a blue and white enameled floral motif and white enamel soap/sponge dishes with navy bird trim.
- Bamboo spreaders with bird etchings.
- Note cards from Hester & Cook including the “Backyard Party” boxed set featuring original designs of fancifully illustrated birds by Vicki Sawyer and Onion Hill card designs by watercolor artist Kassie Foss.
These wall plaques have bird designs that incorporate heartwarming sentiments in elegant typography. Designs include: “Our First Nest,” “Home Tweet Home,” “Every Birdy Welcome” and “This Place is for the Birds.” Selections available while supplies last.
This antique dark brown iron wall accent features birds, tree branches, pine cones and grass detailing. It will cheerfully greet those who visit your home, adding just the right touch of welcoming warmth.
Crazy for Cardinals
Cardinal-themed items include specially designed travel mugs, feeders, tea towels, books and more!
Beautiful John James Audubon Artwork Limited Edition Prints
(Proceeds to Benefit the Center at Fairfield)
For a limited time, John James Audubon Amsterdam Edition prints of North American birds will be for sale with all proceeds benefitting the Center at Fairfield’s conservation and environmental education programs.
These are the finest limited edition facsimiles of the single greatest ornithological work ever produced and printed: the Havell edition of Audubon’s Birds of America. A museum in Holland bought their copy from Audubon’s son in 1839, which was used to produce these color lithographs. In 1972, a Dutch printing firm printed each plate in up to eight different colors on handmade rag paper exactly as the originals, giving these prints the same look and feel as the original Havell edition.
Now, for a limited time, a selection of these prints are available for purchase. Please click here to view catalog. For further information, please email the Nature Store manager, Jane Guenther.
By shopping locally at the Nature Store, you’ll also be supporting Connecticut Audubon’s conservation and environmental education programs. Connecticut Audubon Society members receive a 10% discount on all purchases. Please consider joining or renewing your membership today.