Because of concerns about Covid-19, the Center at Fairfield is running outdoor programming only and asking participants of those programs to practice social distancing and wear masks. Click HERE for a listing of our current programs. The Center at Fairfield building is closed and all indoor programs are cancelled until further notice. The Nature Store has reopened with a modified schedule; details below.
The Nature Store is open Monday – Saturday
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The store will be closed on Monday, January 18 in observance of Dr. Martin Luther King Day
For more information, call 203-259-6305 ext. 109.
Our top priority is keeping our customers and staff safe, please see below for guidelines:
- Enter and exit only through the Nature Store door (the rest of the building is currently closed)
- One customer/couple or family in the store at a time
- Face masks are required to enter
- Hand sanitizer is available inside entrance
- Curbside pick-up with payment by phone is also available; please email the store manager at email@example.com to make arrangements
30% Off Holiday Sale
Now through Saturday, January 30
All holiday items are now 30% off! Sale includes calendars, holiday cards, ornaments and home décor. Shop now for the best selection (curbside pickup also available). Your purchases will help support Connecticut Audubon’s conservation and environmental education programs. Members receive a 10% discount on all purchases. Not a member? Please consider joining or renewing your membership today. Thank you in advance for your support!
February Sale Celebrates National Bird-Feeding Month
The Nature Store is celebrating National Bird-Feeding Month with a February birdseed sale. For the entire month, prices on all varieties of our high-quality seed and suet are 20% off!
Knowledgeable staff can advise on seed choice and answer other backyard birding questions.
Bird Socks from Wheel House Designs
Take flight in these comfy bird socks! Wheel House Designs has been designing socks since 1989 and their top quality materials and designs set them apart.
Just in time for the colder temperatures, the Nature Store has a wide selection of creative bird designs that will be the perfect fit for you or make a much-appreciated gift.
Traditional to Contemporary Home Accessories and Bird-Themed Stationery
- Owl planter pots – perfect for succulents.
- A selection of wall plaques with themes such as “Take time to enjoy the simple things” – just the right touch for freshening up for autumn.
- Bird on a pedestal figurines in a blue and white enameled floral motif and white enamel soap/sponge dishes with navy bird trim.
- Bamboo spreaders with bird etchings.
- Note cards from Hester & Cook including the “Backyard Party” boxed set featuring original designs of fancifully illustrated birds by Vicki Sawyer and Onion Hill card designs by watercolor artist Kassie Foss.
These wall plaques have bird designs that incorporate heartwarming sentiments in elegant typography. Designs include: “Our First Nest,” “Home Tweet Home,” “Every Birdy Welcome” and “This Place is for the Birds.” Selections available while supplies last.
This antique dark brown iron wall accent features birds, tree branches, pine cones and grass detailing. It will cheerfully greet those who visit your home, adding just the right touch of welcoming warmth.
Squirrel-Resistant Bird Feeders
The Nature Store has an extensive line of squirrel-resistant bird feeders to help attract feathered friends to your yard. These feeders are all currently in stock, but quantities are limited, so don’t delay (a wide selection of bird seed is in stock, as well). In addition, along with other Nature Store items such as birding books, bird houses, bird-themed clocks and thermometers, these feeders make a great gift.
- Audubon Squirrel-Resistant Caged Tube Feeder: Durable, clear plastic tube feeder with green metal top, base, perches, ports and protective cage. Features protective grid work that allows birds to feed while keeping predators out. Easy to fill and clean!
- Birds Choice Classic Bird Feeder with Baffle & Pole: This squirrel-resistant feeder’s green top and baffle is made with baked enamel coating. The large seed reservoir is made from UV-resistant polycarbonate and there are four aluminum seed ports and perches.
- Bromebirdcare SquirrelBuster Classic: Four ports and wire mesh shroud allows for wide variety of perching and clinging birds to share the feeder. The negative grip tube prevents squirrels from grabbing the wire hanger with their hind legs, hanging down alongside the feeder and defeating the closing mechanism.
- Bromebirdcare Squirrel Buster Plus: This feeder breaks new ground with design features available for the first time on any bird feeder. Openings in the bottom section of the feeder (shroud) align with seed ports, providing birds access to the seeds. When a squirrel climbs onto the feeder, its weight automatically forces the shroud down, closing the seed ports. Squirrels and large birds are thwarted, but are not harmed in any way. This feeder is adjustable and comes with a lifetime warranty.
Birds Choice Magnet Mesh Birds Choice Nyjer Feeder
Having a quality finch feeder is the cornerstone of successful bird feeder. You’ll love seeing this screen loaded with finches and their friends! Purchase with a small bag of finch blend or nyjer seed for a perfect gift.
- All-metal construction, polyester powder-coated yellow top and bottom with a black screen.
- This patented mesh screen will attract up to double the number of birds than other mesh on the market.
- Comes in two sizes: 18 inches (1.5 quart capacity) or 12 inches (1 quart capacity).
Crazy for Cardinals
Cardinal-themed items include specially designed travel mugs, feeders, tea towels, books and more!
Male Cardinal Ceramic Mug
You’ll enjoy your morning coffee even more when sharing it with nature’s beauty.
This ceramic mug features striking cardinal illustrations by artist Sally Eckman Roberts. Also included is a sticker containing unique facts about this bird species.
Hummingbird Feeders and Accessories
The Nature Store has a wide selection of quality hummingbird feeders and accessories. Choices include feeders (window versions available, also), poles, ant and nectar guards, brushes, hummer rings (to hand feed hummingbirds) and swings (they are territorial and will use the swing as a perching spot to watch over their food source). Your hummingbird visitors will be happy and coming back for more!
Birds of Connecticut Field Guide by Stan Tekiela
Focusing exclusively on 121 species of Connecticut birds, this handy and well-organized beginner’s field guide makes identification easy.
With a photo on each page, the guide is color-coded by the predominate color of the bird, and the index doubles as a check list. You’ll enjoy learning and identifying the birds that call Connecticut home.
The Sibley Birder’s Life List and Field Diary
From leading ornithologist and bestselling author David Sibley comes this essential write-in field companion for all levels of birders.
This indispensable birder’s companion includes both ample space for on-site notes and a life list to be filled in by the legions of passionate birders who have bought Sibley’s bestselling guides.
Puzzles are a great way to take a break, and with this Bloomin’ Birds jigsaw puzzle by Cobble Hill, you’ll have lots of family fun. This 350-piece puzzle depicts a cheerful scene that celebrates spring’s flowers and beautiful birds, with the opportunity for puzzlers of all skill levels to work different sides of the puzzle at the same time.
Other puzzles choices include (below from left to right): Birds on a Wire (poster included; 500 pieces), Popular Backyard Wild Birds of North America (1,000 pieces), The Towering Tree Puzzle (17 double-sided pieces, ages 3+), Songbirds (500 pieces, ages 8+) and Birds A-Z (500 pieces, ages 8+). Your whole family enjoys will enjoy these new puzzle activities!
Bingo is one of the most popular games in the world. Why? It’s a very social game and lets you see how you are doing, which is especially important if you need “just one more number.” Plus, the most important reason is that the winner gets to shout “BINGO!”
These games are fun for all the whole family (ages 3 and up) and include six player boards, 112 card stock bingo squares and 42 picture cards with an image on the front and facts on the back. As creative spin on classic bingo, there are brilliant color photos and informative facts on the back of each calling card. Suggestions for different ways to “Bingo” are also included.
- Bird Bingo: Learn about North American birds including the Northern Cardinal, Bald Eagle and Ruby-Throated Hummingbird.
- Bug Bingo: This game is crawling with creeping critters. Kids will love learning with characters such as Caddisfly, Orb Web Weaver and Grasshopper.
- Nature Bingo: The natural world is all around us and this bingo counts trees, feather and aquamarine animals among its cast of characters.
With migration, nest building and nestlings on the way, this is a perfect time of year to stock up!
Please email the Nature Store manager, Jane Guenther, for any guidance on seed choice, feeder selection or general bird feeding inquiries.
Bird Feather Art Carvings
Created by award-winning Fairfield artist, Dave Farrington
These amazingly detailed, hand-carved and painted bird feathers are created by local, award-winning artist Dave Farrington. Showcased in shadow-box frames, selections include Wood Duck and Pheasant feathers, Blue Jay wing and tail feathers, and a Cardinal tail feather. These one-of-a-kind gifts, signed by the artist, are sure to be a hit for that special bird lover on your list.
Beautiful John James Audubon Artwork Limited Edition Prints
(Proceeds to Benefit the Center at Fairfield)
For a limited time, John James Audubon Amsterdam Edition prints of North American birds will be for sale with all proceeds benefitting the Center at Fairfield’s conservation and environmental education programs.
These are the finest limited edition facsimiles of the single greatest ornithological work ever produced and printed: the Havell edition of Audubon’s Birds of America. A museum in Holland bought their copy from Audubon’s son in 1839, which was used to produce these color lithographs. In 1972, a Dutch printing firm printed each plate in up to eight different colors on handmade rag paper exactly as the originals, giving these prints the same look and feel as the original Havell edition.
Now, for a limited time, a selection of these prints are available for purchase. Please click here to view catalog. For further information, please email the Nature Store manager, Jane Guenther.
Stainless-Steel Water Bottles
An ideal way to stay hydrated on the trails or paired up with our tote bag (below) for holiday gift giving, our royal blue, 24 oz. water bottle is made of stainless-steel with a threaded BPA-free lid. $11.
Cloth Tote Bags
The spacious blue tote bag measures 15 inches wide by 16 inches high. With nine inch tall handles, it will fit easily over your shoulder and is a perfect, plastic-free choice for your shopping needs. $8.
CAS Embroidered Ball Cap
For a good-looking, comfortable baseball cap, we have the one for you! This adult size, chino twill cap in sky blue has a pre-curved bill and sports an embroidered Connecticut Audubon Society logo. It’s the perfect way to look great while supporting our conservation and environmental programs.
Members Receive a 10% Discount On All Nature Store Purchases
Connecticut Audubon Society members receive a 10% discount on all purchases. This is a wonderful way to shop locally and support our conservation and environmental education programs. The Connecticut Audubon Society, the original and independent Audubon organization in our state, has been caring for our environment and educating our youth for more than a century. With the support of friends and members like you, we will remain the leading conservation partner in your community. Please consider joining or renewing your membership today.