Heather Wolf, author and bird photographer, to judge 2023 Birdathon photo contest
May 10, 2023 — An undisputed highlight of Connecticut Audubon’s Migration Madness Birdathon, scheduled for May 20 and 21, is the annual photo contest.
Each year, birders send us a selection of the best photos they took while participating in the Birdathon. We forward them to a judge — we don’t include names or time stamps, just the photos, so the judging is anonymous — who picks the winners.
This year we are lucky to have Heather Wolf as the photo contest judge. If you spend any time in Brooklyn (New York, that is, not Connecticut), you might know her as the ubiquitous photographer at Brooklyn Bridge Park.
Heather is the author and photographer of Birding at the Bridge: In Search of Every Bird on the Brooklyn Waterfront and the forthcoming Find More Birds: 111 Surprising Ways to Spot Birds Wherever You Are.
She also works as a programmer for the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, on projects such as eBird and BirdCast.
You can see Heather’s photos on Instagram (@brooklynbridgebirds) and Twitter (@heatherwolf).
This year’s contest will have two winners: best photo by an adult and best photo by a young bird (under 19 years old).
The best adult winner will receive an original 1993 First Connecticut Duck Stamp, matted and framed. The best young birder winner will receive a $25 REI gift card and a Connecticut Audubon baseball cap.
The Photo Contest is open to all participants in the Birdathon, scheduled for May 20 and 21.
Take photos while you’re birding that weekend, and then submit your best 3 photos by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, May 22. Email your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Photographs that have been digitally or otherwise altered beyond standard optimization (e.g., removal of dust, cropping, adjustments to color and contrast) will be disqualified. Normal processing of RAW image files or minor adjustments to color and contrast are acceptable.
- All elements must be from 1 original photo
- Original image must be available if requested
- Photos must be submitted without the photographer’s name on the image itself
- Best Photo participants may submit up to three images.
Photos must be taken on May 20 or 21 in Connecticut and submitted by Tuesday, May 23, 5 p.m. to email@example.com
Take a look back at previous Migration Madness Photo Contests:
2023 Migration Madness Birdathon Sponsors